In Years 1 and 2 we build on the enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning fostered in the Early Years. Our curriculum takes the best elements of traditional teaching but is not restricted by it. Technology and careful planning encourages an imaginative presentation. The children may be actively involved in role play about ‘The Plague’ or using the interactive whiteboards in each class to reveal the answers in maths, move the pictures to conclude a puzzle or research early flight and other areas of interest on YouTube! Literacy may involve setting up props and photographing scenes when adapting a traditional tale, or typing the story and inserting pictures and writing speech bubbles (in our best cursive handwriting) for the characters. Teaching has changed!
As in Reception, each class benefits from a variety of outings and visitors as well as specialist teachers for French, music, gymnastics, ball skills, swimming and athletics lessons to ensure that high standards are achieved across all curriculum areas.
Vinehall Pre-Prep is a very happy place to work and learn; a team of dedicated and highly motivated staff, which includes teachers and teaching assistants, are joined by a Learning Support Officer (SENCO) who helps individuals that have been identified as requiring additional support. As a school we are committed to professional development which ensures we maintain high standards and provide the best education for the children in our care.
- Ballet: for all children from Nursery to Year 2
- Funky Dance: for children in Reception, Year 1 & 2
- Judo: for children in Year 1 and Year 2
- Gymnastics: for children in Year 1 & 2
- Singing: for children in Year 1 & 2
- Individual Instrumental Lessons: these are arranged through direct contact with the
- Music Department and are usually offered to children from Year 1 onwards if they show an aptitude and enthusiasm. Children often begin by learning recorder in a paired lesson.
There are currently clubs at the end of the day for children in Years 1 and 2; these include Gymnastics, Singing and Judo. Ballet, Funky Dance and individual instrumental lessons are held during the school day. Gym and Singing Clubs are free of charge; there is a charge for Judo, instrumental, Ballet and Funky Dance sessions.